CM Sporthorses Forum www.cmsporthorses.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We have Leg Yield!!!

4 posters

Go down

We have Leg Yield!!! Empty We have Leg Yield!!!

Post  eeyore Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:12 pm

I really wish it were called something a little more glorious sounding. lol!

Ive been having lessons with a dressage instructor, Im onto lesson 5 I think. Last lesson we did an intense session in the roundyard just working on getting her off my leg. Today, I asked for a leg yield out on a trail ride and OMG, it was straight, it was calm we went dancing sideways across the paddock and it felt awesome!!! bounce

Just have to share. cheers
eeyore
eeyore

Back to top Go down

We have Leg Yield!!! Empty Re: We have Leg Yield!!!

Post  Shell Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:56 pm

WHOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO Go Eeyore and Savvy!!! SmileSmileSmile

Isnt it nice when things like that just come together!!! A real lightbulb moment!! Smile Congrats!
Shell
Shell

http://www.cmsporthorses.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fozzie Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:15 am

Well done Eeyore!!

I'm so glad the lessons are working out for you! How's the new saddle going?

(btw I'm ****** from over there) Smile

Last edited by Fozzie on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Fozzie
Fozzie

Back to top Go down

Post  eeyore Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:18 am

Dressage saddle is helping so much, its impossible to get a dressage seat in a GP. Laughing

My problem is that I have trouble dropping my leg down from my hip, so my legs are still a little too forwards and I can only have them in the correct position for a short time before they swing forward again. I wish I knew how to upload pics so I could show you guys!
eeyore
eeyore

Back to top Go down

Post  Fozzie Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 am

I've got the opposite problem, my legs tend to sit back!

One instructor once got me pulling my leg sideways out of the saddle (so the thigh isn't in the saddle) then backwards and back in the saddle. I think it helps to open the hips a little more.

Uploading pics, that icon with the tree and the disk, you click on that, then browse for your file and I think you press upload. Then you get three links, but you copy the middle one and paste it into here. and voila... piccies loaded rabbit
Fozzie
Fozzie

Back to top Go down

Post  eeyore Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:35 am

Fingers Crossed this works! Smile Shes not going correctly in front but I LOVE the reach she has going on, pretty impressive for a forward lacking horse! Laughing[img]We have Leg Yield!!! Ridinglesson060908019[/img]
eeyore
eeyore

Back to top Go down

Post  Buttons Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:52 am

I always like Savvy when I see pics of him.

Are your legs sore this morning?

It's good when you have an instructor that you feel you're achieving something with!

What breed is Savvy again?
Buttons
Buttons

Back to top Go down

Post  eeyore Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:59 am

Legs arent sore! I didnt get really sore from the last lesson as it was more on getting Savvy getting off my leg than working on me, which is why my instructor Tara left me pretty much alone. Except to remind me Im not a chicken and I dont need to stick my elbows out. Im terrible for that!!! Laughing

Savvy is 3/4 Clydie and 1/4 Waler. Apple of my eye she is!!! I love you Im really excited with how she is maturing!
eeyore
eeyore

Back to top Go down

Post  Fozzie Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:59 am

Psst Buttons... Savvy's a she!

She's looking great Eeyore!!

You could also try standing in your stirrups... ya can't stand unless your legs are in the right position... sorry, just saw your post that you're working on Savvy. Your instructor will have some great ideas for your position I'm sure Smile
Fozzie
Fozzie

Back to top Go down

Post  Buttons Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:01 am

Oops my bad.
Buttons
Buttons

Back to top Go down

Post  eeyore Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:27 am

Fozzie, the first time Tara asked me to stand up, I couldnt do it at all. Laughing Normally when I feel my leg slipping back, I stand up for a couple of strides and sit back down. Or take my leg off the saddle completely and put it back on.

Took Savvy out to Tara's today and went for a ride with her around her property. She has two OTTBs that she is retraining to sell on so we took the youngest one out to get him used to trail riding. After we went around the paddock I was practicing my leg yeild and low and behold, she wouldnt do it without running off. Evil or Very Mad

So our trail ride turned into a lesson and Tara rode Savvy for about half an hour, getting her to straighten up and get off the leg and also worked on her habit of dropping her shoulder on a circle. I finally got her working long and low too! Then when I got back home, I had another quick ride and worked on canter transitions. Now thety are a whole different story! Embarassed
eeyore
eeyore

Back to top Go down

Post  Buttons Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:44 am

Tara sounds like a lovely lady.

Good stuff Eeyore, keep us updated!

What are your goals for Savvy?
Buttons
Buttons

Back to top Go down

Post  eeyore Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 am

I havent really thought about goals with her much. 2 months ago, her future was to be a trail horse! Still doing heaps of trail riding with one lesson a week.

I want to do a dressage test on her one day. I want it to be correct and calm, right canter lead, me sit trotting without looking like a sack of spuds. Dont care if we place or not. I will attempt jumping with her once she finishes growing, might even try low level eventing with her.

I might be taking her to an Ag show in 3 weeks. Only in the encourage ring to get her out and about. A coloured horse at an Ag show. The horror!!! lol! Im not clipping out her feather and my plaits will be horrendous but meh! May as well take her as our riding club will have a spot in the grand parade.

But when my OH and I decide to start a family, she will be put in foal to a TB or Anglo for a foal with her temperament just a bit lighter in type and taller. Shes only 15.2hh. Or a tall paint so I can have a coloured baby. Very Happy There is also a little girl wanting to lease her whilst Im off making babies, but we shall see.
eeyore
eeyore

Back to top Go down

Post  Buttons Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:38 am

Your plans sound great!

Hold your head high and be proud to fly the 'coloured' flag in open rings.

I used to take my appy fella into the open rings.....was very funny when he sometimes beat the solid coloured horses, of course that sometimes depended what judge you were in front of...some of em liked to see a bit of colour and could recognise a good horse but some of em were stuck but in the dark ages where open rings were for TB's.

Let us know how you go!
Buttons
Buttons

Back to top Go down

Post  Shell Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 pm

Eeyore, what you doing on the 20th and 21st Sept (next weekend)????

Chuck Savvy in the float and haul her butt over here - we have team penning on Saturday, and Saturday night, and a barrell race, and a bit of a dinner/drinks thing happening at the showgrounds..........

Then Sunday is the Wudinna Show and there is a led coloured horse class......... and theres some hacking and novelties as well SmileSmile

We will have the truck down there (its first outing!!) and the two stallions........ will be heaps of fun!! Smile
Shell
Shell

http://www.cmsporthorses.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum