CM Sporthorses Forum www.cmsporthorses.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baldy (Allen Park Bald Eagle)

Go down

Baldy (Allen Park Bald Eagle) Empty Baldy (Allen Park Bald Eagle)

Post  Admin Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:41 pm

***Moved from old forum***

Sparky girl

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 07:20 am Post subject: Baldy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
long time fan of ya cmsporthorse web site .. waiting til you breed my perfect horse (black and white an BIG)! LOL
I was suprised to read Baldy passed!
And was wondering why he was put down?
He was still serving mares not more than a month ago....

Shell
Site Admin

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 03:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there Sparky Girl,

Well, Baldy had been struggling with his weight for a little while - he didnt cope real well with last summer, and he got sick coming into this summer just gone, so he was a little down on where we all would have liked him to start with.

His age was really starting to take its toll, and at 32 1/2 his teeth were severely failing him.

He was on two large feeds a day of moistened Chaff (white and green) and Mitavite Gumnuts.

He was only sucking his hay and spitting it out again.

The vet had a good look at his teeth in January and said they were too far gone to do anything with and some were non existant.

So we kept a close eye on him, and he seemed to be coping pretty well, a little thinner than we perhaps would have liked, but definately not 'skinny', and he was still interested in the girls and showing his normal 'spark'...

Then a few weeks before the day we put him down, he had a couple of funny 'turns' which we believe may well have been his heart. He seemed to bounce back from that, but a week or so before he was put down he got very 'flat' and that 'spark' faded. He began to show the signs of Congestive Heart Failure.

He lost all interest in the girls, his food, and life in general.

We discussed it with his owners, and it was decided that he was owed a dignified farewell.

Better a minute too soon, than a moment too late.

He is going to have a plaque placed on the tree he is buried under in our front paddock, where he had spent some of his time with 'his' girls.

We hope to have a few more babies from him this year....

He has some Grandsons who are carrying on his lines. Two lovely black and white boys - one a half clydesdale fellow, and the other is 1/4 Clydesdale but built quite finely considering the heavy horse in him.

They are being retained by his owners to see how they turn out and whether they will be stallion prospects. If they continue to grow as nicely as they have been up til now, then they will both be worthy candidates.

I think any black and white colts by Baldy this year will be held onto by ourselves and his owners if they show the quality required.

Should they not have that something 'special' that would make them a worthy stallion prospect, they will be gelded and sold.

Hope that answers your question about the wonderful old boy.....

He may be gone, but he will be forever in our hearts and has placed his stamp on his foals........

I still walk out the back expecting to see the old boy standing there waiting for his breakfast or dinner......

Winged Horse Productions
Pencil Portraits, Ad/Logo/Web Design, Equine/Wedding/Portrait Photography
www.cmsporthorses.com/whpindex

Sassafrass

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 12:11 am Post subject:

Oh...
Hugs shell

Sparky girl

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 04:02 am Post subject:

Well i'm very glad he went out that way..
It's awful to see when people wont put horses down when they are clearly suffering because they don't want to deal with it!
And your so right on the "Better a minute too soon, than a moment too late. "
I was just really shocked and sadden to hear of his passing!
My child hood pony was only put to sleep about a month ago after finding her cancer getting worse (she was a grey welsh) and we were in a similar postion at the grand old age of 28, and watching her starting to drop weight a little to fast, and losing her love of life..

I'm very sorry for your loss and truely hope you have the perfect little baldy baby!

Shell
Site Admin

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 09:09 am Post subject:

So sorry to hear about your pony Sparky Girl..... its sad to let them go isnt it.........

And yep, too often you hear of old horses suffering because their owners dont want to deal with putting them down. (not just horses, but any animal) - I figure we have that choice we can make with them, and the kindest thing for THEM is to put them to sleep when the time comes. Doesnt matter how heartbroken we may be about it, theres nothing worse than seeing them suffer.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://cmsporthorses.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down